Following graduation Chelsea Chu was lucky to find employment quickly in the fashion industry. And not just any job but a buyer’s position for an online luxury retailer.
In this interview, we look into the role of a buyer in the industry and what led her to decide to launch her own brand, and the challenges she is encountering along the way.
- What it is like to be a buyer in the fashion industry; what does the job entail?
- The importance of knowing your target customer profile and how this helps buyers when they select what to buy.
- How men’s shopping habits defer from women
- What led her to want to launch her own brand
- What business model she would like to follow for her own business and why.
- Why educating your customer is important to do.
- As a buyer, you need to at all times balance the point of view of what is commercial and what is visually appealing
- “Typically the mass consumers will not care about sustainability because they prioritize looking good and cost first”
“To Die For: Is Fashion Wearing Out The World” by Lucy Siegle