I don’t know about you but I found myself wondering lately if “fair trade fashion” and “sustainability” were one and the same thing or not? What happened to “fair trade”? A few years ago everyone was talking about fair trade fashion and all of a sudden no one is but the focus has moved to sustainability? Why and how can this happen?
As always – when I have a question that I can’t answer by myself – I search for the best person who can help me with it.
In today’s episode, I speak to Morin George – a buyer and product developer in fair trade fashion who spent over 20 years working with artisans around the world to showcase their heritage skills and culture through the development of beautiful products.
Over the years Morin was able to spend time on the ground with suppliers as well as mingle with policymakers and witness firsthand the impact fair trade practices can have on communities globally.
In this episode we discuss:
- What is “fair trade” and how is it different from “sustainability”?
- Why fair trade fashion is perhaps more important than sustainability?
- What can small independent fashion brands learn and implement in terms of fair trade fashion practices in order to create impact within the world and the fashion industry?
- What is driving and motivating Morin to launch her own fashion label? Will it be a fair trade fashion brand?
- There are ten fair trade principles that align with the UN Sustainability goals and “sustainability” is one of the 10 principles.
- “When you can you should, when you can’t – do what you can”
- Asking questions, working together, and caring is the foundation to successful business and sustainability practices.
Discover more about how to work with us and grow a sustainable fashion brand: https://fashioninsiders.co/work-with-me/