What can you do if you know that the world can be your oyster and you are passionate about fashion and sustainability?
In the case of our guest – Edwina Huang creating a solution to an age-old problem was the answer.
As the founder of Phoenxt fabric technology company, she turns waste fabrics into beautiful new fabrics.
- Discover how her passion for a more sustainable fashion future led her to think differently and how she started her business.
- The way in which you can recycle fashion waste and how they are different from each other;
- What is better – mechanical fabric recycling, chemical recycling, or biodegradable fabrics?
- What is Open and Closed Loop recycling and the impact it has on the newly created fabrics;
- Why “biodegradable” fabric is not so easy to create;
- What are the various types of waste generated in the fashion industry;
- Who is better at being sustainable – the BIG brands or the small independent fashion brands?
- What is the truth behind the accusations of “greenwashing” aimed at big brands;
- Practical tips and Do’s and Don’ts for small brands and how to be more sustainable.
- Why doesn’t the fashion industry recycles its own waste, like other industries? Why is incineration and sending waste to landfill or third world countries the only options available?
- More than 80% of used fabrics in fashion are made out of blended fibers. They cannot be handled in recycling.
- There are three types of waste – pre-industrial, post-industrial, and post-consumer waste.
- If we want to turn waste into raw material again, we need to understand what we want to make and use this material after.
- Brands and innovation need to find the sweet spot in order to work together.
- Big brands have the power to push the agenda and to influence the supply chain, but it takes them longer to implement change compared to small brands.
- Every brand should ask themselves: what impact do you want to create as a brand? If you want to create a BIG impact, then you need to ensure your process is scalable.
About the host:
Dessy is the founder of Fashion Insiders & Co – an online platform supporting fashion and creative entrepreneurs who are in the process of launching and growing purpose-driven brands.
If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a *star* rating and a review on iTunes – it helps us get this podcast discovered by more listeners just like yourself. Thank you.
To submit any questions or get in touch with topic suggestions, write to us at [email protected]